Published here for other DM feedback. Not play tested yet. WIP.
Gargantuan dragon (vortex), lawful evil
Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 333 (18d20 + 144)
Speed 40 ft., fly 240ft.
STR 26 (+8) DEX 11 (+0) CON 26 (+8)
INT 24 (+7) WIS 23 (+7) CHA 24 (+7)
Saving Throws Dex +6, Con + 14, Wis +7, Cha +8
Skills Perception+ 13, Stealth +6
Damage Immunities fire, sleep and paralysis
Damage Vulnerabilities cold
Senses blindsight 60ft., darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 23
Languages Common, Draconic
Challenge 19 (22,000 XP)
Agile. Vortex dragons have advantage on all Dexterity Ability checks and saving throws.
Fragmented Strike. An adult or older vortex dragon can strike with its bite through a rift in space. This allows it to make its bite attack against a target anywhere within the radius of its alien presence as long as the dragon can see the creature. This doesn’t apply to attacks of opportunity.
Intergalactic. A young or older vortex dragon halves the time of any starflight journey. In addition, it’s immune to any effect that bars extradimensional travel.
Innate Spellcasting. Becrux’ innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 21, +15 to-hit). She can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
1/day each: true seeing*, globe of invulnerability (C, <=5th)*, stoneskin, teleport, haste, mirror image (AC 10, DC 6, 8 and 10) and shapechange
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the dragon fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Multiattack. The dragon can use its Alien Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 15ft., one target.
Hit: 19 (2d10 + 8) piercing damage plus 9 (2d8) plasma (fire and radiant) damage.
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 f.t., one target.
Hit: 15 (2d6 + 8) slashing damage.
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 20ft., one target.
Hit: 17 (2d8 + 8) bludgeoning damage.
Alien Presence. A vortex dragon’s alien presence bends space. Each creature of the dragon’s choice that is within 120 feet of the dragon and aware of it must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw or treat all other creatures it can see as if they were under the affect of a blur spell for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the dragon’s Alien Presence for the next 24 hours.
Dragon Breath (Recharge 5-6). Becrux may choose one of the following breath weapons when available.
Plasma Blast. The dragon exhales a fiery blast in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw, taking 72 (16d8) fire and radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Vortex Breath. Instead of a cone of fire, an ancient or older vortex dragon can suck a single target into its maw. If the target is a Large or smaller creature, it must succeed on a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw or be swallowed by the dragon. A swallowed creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the dragon, and it takes 21 (6d6) acid damage at the start of each of the dragon’s turns. If the dragon takes 30 damage or more on a single turn from a creature inside it, the dragon must succeed on a DC 21 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate all swallowed creatures, which fall prone in a space within 10 feet of the dragon. If the dragon dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by her and can escape from the corpse by using 20 feet of movement, exiting prone.
Bloodied Breath. As a reaction when first bloodied (half hit-points) Becrux’ breath weapon recharges, and she uses it.
The dragon can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The dragon regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Detect. The dragon makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
Tail Attack. The dragon makes a tail attack.
Wing Attack (Costs 2 Actions). The dragon beats its wings. Each creature within 15 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw or take 15 (2d6 + 8) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. The dragon can then fly up to half its flying speed.
A VORTEX DRAGON’S LAIR
Vortex dragons can lair in almost any clime but they tend to be found wherever there is an accumulation of knowledge, for example, in Nimmeria in a technological ruin. The vortex dragon is a loner swooping in; accumulating any knowledge it can before making off with that knowledge and any related items.
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Becrux takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; the dragon can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row:
- Sunflare. Plasma erupts from a point on the ground the dragon can see within 120 feet of it, creating a 20-foot-high, 5-foot-radius geyser. Each creature in the geyser’s area must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, taking 21 (6d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Supergiant. The gravity increases 10 fold in a 60-foot radius around the void dragon. Each creature other than the dragon on the ground in that area must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone and restrained. Save ends.
- Galactic Knowledge. Becrux whispers some of the knowledge she has gained about the cosmos to all within hearing. All creatures within a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on the void dragon must succeed on a DC 13 Intelligence saving throw or be come stunned with the incomprehensibility and awe of what was revealed.
- Wormhole. The vortex dragon creates a shimmering wormhole that sucks the targeted creature into the depths of space. The target that fails a DC 15 Charisma check is transported to the outer-orbit of the current planet that the vortex dragon occupies. The magic preserves the creature but they are imprisoned indefinitely until Becrux ends the effect returning the creature to her presence or the creature succeeds at a saving throw to end the cosmic imprisonment returning to the location they were relocated from. Becrux may only hold one creature in such a state per planet.
The region containing a legendary void dragon’s lair is warped by the dragon’s nature, which creates one or more of the following effects:
- Meteor showers are common within 6 miles of the dragon’s lair. The night sky is always clear and the stars and moon glow particularly bright affecting the sleep of locals and attracting or manner of nocturnal creatures (like lycanthropes). If the dragon dies, these effects fade over the course of 1d10 days.
- Within 1 mile of the dragons lair everything feels lighter (or heavier, depending on the particular vortex dragon). Everything feels “floaty” and activities like jumping, lifting, carrying – are much easier (+25% effective Strength score for ability checks). Occasionally pockets of anti-gravity appear, where small areas of objects slowly float upward. If the dragon dies, these effects fade over the course of 1d10 days.
This dragon twists and whips with near untraceable speed. Its horns, crests along its neck, and wings emit a glow like starlight.