So I setup Penumbra in “Dawn of the Overmind” to be a hex crawl this was one of the random encounters. The PCs saw this thing wandering the desert area but did not engage. Built from the original 4e version.
MIND FLAYER SCROLL MUMMY
Medium undead, lawful evil
Armor Class 15 (alien breastplate)
Hit Points 84 (13d8 + 26)
Speed 20 ft.
|16 (+3)||12 (+1)||15 (+2)||19 (+4)||17 (+3)||17 (+3)|
Saving Throws INT +7, WIS +6, CHA +6
Skills Arcana +7, Deception +6, Insight +6, Perception+6, Persuasion +6, Stealth +4
Damage Vulnerabilities fire
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages The languages it knew in life
Challenge7 (2,900 XP)
Dust of Ages. When the mind flayer scroll mummy dies, it explodes and turns to dust, and each creature within 10 feet of it must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 55 (10d10) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Magic Resistance. The mind flayer scroll mummy has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). The mind flayer scroll mummy’s innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 15). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no components:
At will: detect thoughts, levitate
1/day each: dominate monster, plane shift (self only)
Multiattack. The mind flayer scroll mummy can use its Dreadful Glare, uses a scroll and makes one attack with its rotting tentacles.
Rotting Tentacles. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit:15 (2d10 + 4) psychic damage plus 10 (3d6) necrotic damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be paralysed for 1 minute and cursed with mummy rot. The cursed target can’t regain hit points, and its hit point maximum decreases by 10 (3d6) for every 24 hours that elapse. If the curse reduces the target’s hit point maximum to 0, the target dies, and its body turns to dust. The curse lasts until removed by the remove curse spell or other magic.
Dreadful Glare. The mind flayer scroll mummy targets one creature it can see within 60 feet of it. If the target can see the mummy, it must succeed on a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or become frightened until the end of the mummy’s next turn. If the target fails the saving throw by 5 or more, it is also paralyzed for the same duration. A target that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to the Dreadful Glare of all mummies (but not mummy lords) for the next 24 hours.
Scrolls. The mind flayer scroll mummy uses one of the following options (roll a d6 or choose one):
- Ice Barrage.The mind flayer scroll mummy casts this spell. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 10 ft., one target and all targets within 5 feet. Hit: 13 (2d12) cold damage.
- Boiling Blood.The mind flayer scroll mummy casts this ancient spell. Ranged Spell Attack: +7 to hit, range 25 ft., one target and all targets within 5 feet. Hit:7 (1d6 + 4) fire damage and 10 fire damage at the start of each of the target’s turns. A creature can end this damage by using its action to make a DC 10 Dexterity check to extinguish the flames.
- Lightning Lure.The mind flayer scroll mummy casts this ancient spell. Ranged Spell Attack: +7 to hit vs DEX, range 25 ft., one target and all targets within 10 feet. Hit:7 (1d6 + 4) lightningdamage and the targets are pulled towards the mummy up to 20 feet. If the creature ends its turn within 5 feet of the mind flayer it can make a rotten tentacle attack against each target.
- Shadowy Tendrils.The mind flayer scroll mummy casts this ancient spell. Ranged Spell Attack: +7 to hit vs CON, range 20 ft., one target and all targets within 5 feet. Hit:15 (2d10 + 4) necrotic damage, and the target gains vulnerability to necrotic dame for 1 minute (DC 15 Con save ends).
- Thunderforce Pulse. The mind flayer scroll mummy casts this ancient spell. Ranged Spell Attack:+7 to hit, range 40 ft., one target and all targets within 5 feet. Hit:17 (3d6 + 7) force and thunder damage, and the target falls prone.
- Wave of Madness.The mind flayer scroll mummy casts this ancient spell. Ranged Spell Attack: +7 to hit vs INT, range 20 ft., one target and all targets within 20 feet. Hit:13 (2d8 + 4) psychic damage, and the target must make a melee or ranged attack as a free action against its nearest ally or take 10 psychic damage.
Choking Dust. The mind flayer scroll mummy is first bloodied it gives off dust that causes all creatures within 10 feet of it to 22 (5d8) necrotic and poison damage, and ongoing 10 necrotic and poison damage (save ends). The creature spends its turn choking and is paralysed until it makes a DC 18 Constitution saving throw at the end of its turn. The area is also lightly obscured for 1 minute.