Originally appearing in Dungeon #150 as part of the Savage Tide Adventure Path I converted him for use in a dreamscape boss fight orchestrated by Ilsensine as part Dawn of the Overmind. It is one of two monsters that Demogorgon can summon to aide him in the boss fight – the other being Arendagrost. Two options exist to keep the PCs off balance if they have to fight Demogorgon twice.
SAINT KARGOTH THE FIRST DEATH KNIGHT
Medium undead (demon), chaotic evil
Armor Class 20 (demonic plate)
Hit Points 345 (30d8 + 210)
Speed 30 ft., fly 20 ft.
|26 (+8)||14 (+2)||24 (+7)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)||24 (+7)|
Saving Throws DEX +8, CON +13, WIS +10
Skills Animal Handling+10, Deception +13, Intimidate +13, Persuasion +13, Religion +10
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren’t cold iron
Damage Immunities acid, necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities Exhaustion, Frightened, Poisoned
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic
Challenge 20 (25,000 XP)
Fear Aura. Any creature hostile to Kargoth that starts its turn within 20 feet of him must make a DC 21 Wisdom saving throw unless the Kargoth is incapacitated. On a failed save, the creature is frightened until the start of its next turn. If a creature’s saving throw is successful, the creature is immune to Kargoth’s Fear Aura for the next 24 hours.
Magic Resistance. Kargoth has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Magic Weapons. Kargoth’s weapon attacks are magical.
Marshal Undead. Unless Kargoth is incapacitated, he and undead creatures of his choice within 60 feet of him have advantage on saving throws against features that turn undead.
Spellcasting. Kargoth is a 19th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 21, +13 to hit with spell attacks). He has the following paladin spells prepared:
- 1st level (4 slots): command, compelled duel, searing smite(+1d6 fire, CON or burn)
- 2nd level (3 slots): hold person, magic weapon
- 3rd level (3 slots): dispel magic, elemental weapon
- 4th level (3 slots): banishment, staggering smite(14/4d6 psychic, WIS or have disadvantage for 1 round)
- 5th level (2 slots): destructive wave (30 ft, CON: 17/5d6 necrotic, 17/5d6 thunder)
Multiattack. Kargoth makes four unholy longsword attacks and one mace attack.
Unholy Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 21 (3d8 + 8) slashing damage plus 13 (3d8) lightning damage. If Kargoth scores a critical hit the weapon does 63 slashing damage and 39 lightning damage. The weapon does a bonus 7 (2d6) necrotic damage against good creatures (or 21 necrotic damage on a critical hit).
Demogorgon’s Bilious Sphere (Mace). Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 15 (2d6 + 8) bludgeoning damage plus 21 (6d6) acid damage.
Hellfire Orb (1/Day). Kargoth hurls a magical ball of fire that explodes at a point he can see within 1,120 feet of him. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centred on that point must make a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw. The sphere spreads around corners. A creature takes 35 (10d6) fire damage and 35 (10d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Parry. Kargoth adds 6 to his AC against one melee attack that would hit him. To do so, he must see the attacker and be wielding a melee weapon.
Kargoth can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Kargoth regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Abyssal Blast. Kargoth uses Hellfire Orb if available.
Cast a Spell. Kargoth casts a spell. This will usually be a smite spell.
Demogorgon’s Bilious Sphere. Kargoth activates one of the artifacts special abilities, he can make a mace attack as part of activating the ability. He does not need to hit to trigger the effect:
- Kargoth casts stinking cloud.
- Kargoth casts acid fog (as cloudkill but acid damage (CON, 22/5d8 acid, fog persists for 10 minutes)).
- (3/day) Kargoth casts flaming sphere except the energy type is changed to acid. Kargoth can use a bonus action to move all three spheres (DEX, 7/2d6 acid).
- (1/day) The mace can be used to create a feeling of intense hatred in a creature within 60 feet. The target can resist this effect with a DC 23 Wisdom saving throw, otherwise, it views another creature within sight (chosen by Kargoth) as its most hate enemy. The target must do everything in its power to slay its enemy. This effect persists until the enemy is dead or 24 hours pass; it maybe dispelled as if it were dominate monster.