I am currently running an Oriental Adventures (OA) campaign called The Divine Heir and the Jade Regent loosely based around the Pathfinder Adventure Path the Jade Regent with strong influences from Sekiro. The first adventure is called The Ashina Legacy and is essentially the The Brinewall Legacy set in and completely converted to an OA setting.
I had to rewrite the adventure intro and re-theme the monsters but it worked well. Here is the flowchart of the campaign:
Book 1: Ashina (Brinwell) Legacy
- PCs track bakeomono (goblins) to Omikura Swamp.
- They either kill the goblins and track the fallen samurai back to their cave or find out from the goblins about it. If required the kami of the Amatatsu Seal will appear and lead the players to the cave where the seal is (Lord Kuro is from the Dragon Clan so his seal kami appears as a small silver-black dragon).
- The PCs find the warded seal in the cave protected by Dragon Clan armoured skeletal undead and learn that their prince is not dead but held in Ashina Castle – a former crane castle which fell to monsters about 50 years ago.
- The seal gives them a flashback to what happened with the previous and last emperor and I actually had my PCs play the dream sequence out and they got a taste of Anumaramon’s power.
- They then travel to Ashina Castle, find the prince, liberate him and are granted the castle by the prince as a reward. He can do this as he is the rightful heir of Caroa (Japan analogue).
- Guarding the prince is Kikonu a raven themed oni.
- The prince suggests they compete in the Ruby Phoenix Tournament held in Bruul (China analogue) to win the mortal blade which is the only weapon that can permanently kill an oni.
- They also raid the treasure vault and recover powerful nemuranai to help in their cause.
Book 2: The Hungry Storm
On their way to the Ruby Phoenix Tournament the PCs stop at Miyakori Monastery where they are assaulted by one of the Five Storms – Rimiko the Wind Ya. I converted and ran the Pathfinder adventure the Frozen Wind replacing the Yakka Ono with the wind ya. The monastery falls under the demesne of Ashina Castle after its cleared out and becomes a potential site for another order of monks loyal to the Emperor. This is also where the party gained the services of Kochiyama.
Book 3: The Ruby Phoenix Tournament
I converted and ran the excellent Pathfinder adventure the Ruby Phoenix Tournament. I did have to modify it a bit because many of the computations are just straight up fights which are not so interested in a theatre of the mind combat (which is my default combat mode). Here is the new flow for the Tournament:
- Day 1: 64 teams.
- Match 1: Monks of the Enduring Spirit.
- Test 1: Breaking Competition.
- Exhibition 1: The Headless One.
- Night Feast: Poison if the PCs eat it.
- Day 2: 32 teams.
- Test 2: Archery.
- Exhibition 2: The Spider Fight.
- Match 2: Test of the Three Towers -> Kept the towers, but replaced with magic girl.
- Night: Yon Loi’s Noodle Shop encounter with the gambler.
- Day 3: 16 teams.
- Match 3: Battle of the Embers -> Replaced with a Naval Battle.
- Exhibition 3: Boar and Tiger.
- Test 3: Needle in the Bamboo Forest -> Replaced with a chariot race (used the Chariots boardgame).
- Night 3: Golden League Ambush
- Day 4: 8 teams.
- Match 4: Blood and Mud
- Exhibition 4: Slay Huyanwo! (my PCs skipped this).
- Test 4: Iron Body.
- Night: Kidnapped! (My PCs focused on saving Lord Kuro who I had as the real target the kidnapping. Mathieson was just collateral damage as he was acting as a bodyguard too Kuro. My party could not take on 4 One and a dragon so they used stealth, surprise and speed to retrieve Kuro and Mathieson).
- Day 5: 4 teams.
- Match 5: Semi-Finals – they fought a true ninja inspired by Madara.
- Exhibition 5: They of Two Heads (hand waved this battle as this session was already combat heavy).
- Test 5: Mind Trap.
- Match 6: Finals with Gomwai who I described as a Jojo bad guy, though more Pretty Pretty Prisoner than outright evil.
- +1 honour
- +1 level
- +5 Spirit Emblems
- They take the Mortal Blade as their prize.
To integrate the adventure into the campaign I made the Aspis Corporation the Five Storms and the team a bunch of Oni. I also replaced the twins with Rimiko and Kikonu. I also had the tournament held in the analogue of China in my world so made the Golden League a triad gang.
They also had some interesting encounters to and from the Tournament. On the last day they received word that an army was amassing to attack Ashina Castle – a local daimyo was challenging their control of the castle (right before it was finished of course). The PCs rush back to help with the defense of the castle.